FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
MUSEUM FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the Museum’s operating hours?
- The Mississippi Armed Forces Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- The Mississippi Armed Forces Museum is open most patriotic holidays including Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day.
- The Museum is closed most Federal and state holidays.
What is the cost of admission?
The museum does not charge admission and is free to the public.
Where is the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum?
- The Mississippi Armed Forces Museum is located at Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center south of Hattiesburg. To visit the Museum, visitors enter Camp Shelby through the North or South Gate from Highway 49.
- Visitors over the age of 16 must present a valid photo identification. Drivers must have a valid drivers license and may be required to present vehicle registration or proof of insurance.
- Please note that privately-owned firearms are not permitted on post.
Is The Mississippi Armed Forces Museum located on a military base and if so, is a civilian allowed on base?
The museum is located on Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center and civilians are allowed on post. All you need is a valid photo ID for anyone over the age of 16.
Can I take pictures in the exhibits?
Yes, but flash photography is not allowed.
Does the museum accept artifact donations/How do I donate an artifact?
Yes, the museum is accepting artifact donations. See more specific questions and detailed answers regarding artifact donations and procedures.
Can the museum accept donations of firearms, specifically rifles, pistols and machine guns?
Yes, the museum can accept donations of any type of firearm. Class III NFA firearms such as machine guns, short-barreled rifles and the like can be accepted by the museum. Prior authorization and coordination with the proper museum staff is required before the donation as private weapons are not allowed on Camp Shelby.
How do I find my family member's military service record?
The museum employs a historian who may be able to assist you with the research involved in locating a family member’s military service information.