M1895 officer’s sack coat
The War Department set the Mississippi Militia’s quota for the Spanish-American War to two regiments of militia volunteers. Governor Anselm J. McLaurin called for volunteers from the Mississippi Militia to report to Camp Port Henry, established near Jackson, Mississippi, in May 1898. The volunteers were assigned to the 1st Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Regiment and 2nd Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Regiment. By June 1898, both regiments were at the Chickamauga Battlefield Park in Tennessee for training. The units never deployed overseas and remained in Tennessee for the duration of the conflict. Known as the “Splendid Little War,” the Spanish-American War lasted less than four months and ended before the Mississippi regiments completed training. Both regiments mustered out of federal service in December 1898.
The shoulder boards and bullion embroidery on the collar indicate that this sack coat belonged to a lieutenant in the 2nd Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
Source:Gift of David Francis Webb
Related Conflict:Spanish-American War
Display Status:This artifact is on view in the Early Mississippi History Gallery.